20 Large Elderflowers Heads
4lbs (1.8 kilos) Granulated Sugar
2¾ ounces (75g) Citric acid
2 pints (1200ml) Water
The recipe will make about 2½ pints (1.5 litres)
- Do not wet the flowers, a gentle shake will remove and bugs.
- Place the flowers heads in a large bowl
- Put the water and sugar in a pan; bring gently to the boil, stirring all the time.
- Pour over the elderflower and stir in the citric acid
- Add the grated zest of the lemons to the bowl, slice the lemons and add to the bowl.
- Stir well and leave to cool
- Cover and leave for 24 hours
- Strain through muslin and bottle in sterilised bottles
- Store in a cool dark place
- 10. Refrigerate after opening